Friday 7 September 2012

Warung Kampung Gili - Gili Air (Lebaran'12)

 














I wanted to taste what the real 'kampung food' or in a better way of saying 'local food' really taste like. I asked the friendly people at Omah Gili and he recommended us a 'Warung' (A Food Stall) not far from the inn; around 5 minutes walk from the inn. By the way Gili Air is not a big island, pretty tiny actually. You can circle the entire island 360 degree less than 2 hours and that is by normal adult walking pace. Go figure the size, pretty small right ?


The 'Warung' actually exceed my expectation, I thought it was going to be dirty and sloppy, but nothing like that. A handful of local and international tourist were there, blending in with the community trying to communicate with broken bahasa indonesia, english and hand sign language. The Warung was in fact pretty clean, good home cooked food were served here. Nothing fancy or 5 star, but definitely a good portion meal, relatively cheap and using super fresh ingredients.
Menu : Nasi Campur
Price : RP 15,000
Score : 6.0 / 10

>> Size portion is decent here, enough to cover 3/4 of my tummy capacity. I like the peanut satay sauce with steam vegetables on the side; tasty! I'd give this another half point if only the chicken wasn't that dry. I had quite a tough time chewing it. I wouldn't recommend you guys to try this.
Menu : Ayam Pelecing Pedes
Price : RP 20,000
Score : 7.5 / 10

>> The star dish of the day is this beautiful red colored dish over here! I love the generous amount of chili poured across the chicken. Unlike the overcooked chicken above, this one wasn't at all. Crispy on the outside yet tender and juicy still on the inside. By the way, look at the size of the chicken, huge isn't it? Good stuff !!
Menu : Tumpi Tumpi
Price : RP 15,000
Score : 6.5 / 10

>> I was curious when I read it on the menu and asked the owner about it. He explained it was like 'perkedel' but instead of potatoes, they uses finely shredded coconut instead. Combined with spices, herbs and chili then portioned and deep fried before serving. I thought the taste was pretty interesting, it was like eating well seasoned shredded coconut basically :)
Menu : Pelecing Kangkung
Price : RP 10,000
Score : 5.0 / 10

>> I thought I was going to love this dish when I saw it on the menu. All I can think was the amount of chili that this dish will blow my tongue off. In fact, it wasn't the case at all. It was definitely a different 'pelecing' sauce with the 'ayam pelecing' dish above. This sauce was leaning more to tomato base instead of chili and for your information, I'm not a big fan of sweet tomato base chili sauce.

However, I must say the 'kangkung' itself was well cooked.
Menu : Nasi Campur
Price : RP 15,000
Score : 7.0 / 10

>> Nasi Campur here is basically you go to the kitchen and there were a few plates of cooked dishes displayed. Choose anything you want and they'll pick it and serve it for you! What I love most is the 'Tempe Orek' or another similar to 'Tempe Balado'. It was spicy and mind blowing! Yummmehh!!


Warung Gili
Gilir Air, Lombok Indonesia

No comments:

Post a Comment