Friday 10 August 2012

Lau's Kopitiam

I had countless 'Lau's Kopitiam' visits since they opened their very first branch in Benton Junction, Lippo Karawaci. A friend on mine is the owner and I must say Lau's Kopitiam was among the first few who get into this 'kopitiam' business before the craze starts mushrooming everywhere in Jakarta. One of the biggest difference they offer is their 'toast'. Most of the other Kopitiams offer their toast as this thin and crunchy while Lau's toast is thick (picture below) and this depends on individual's preference, some like their pizza thick crusted, some thin crusted. Which do you like ?

At this moment, Lau's had just opened their 16th branch (congratulations!!) at Mangga Besar and I must give my friend a 2 thumbs and 2 toes up. Within 4 years upon opening their 1st branch at Benton, he has his 16th now. In Pluit area, there's two. One in Emporium Pluit Mal (4th floor, next to food court)l and the second is at Jl. Pluit Utara Raya (Next to United Oil Car Wash) and my review today is base on my trip there in Jl. Pluit Utara Raya.

Menu : Nasi Goreng Cakalang
Price : RP 25,217 ++
Score : 7.0 / 10

>> I had my first plate of 'nasi goreng cakalang' at Benton Junction and gave my experience there a 7.5 / 10. The portion here is smaller but taste wise, pretty good and similar to the one in Benton! It has that spicy chili kick, cakalang fishy smell (smells fishy in a good way), sweetened black soya tasting rice. Overall a good comfort food during moody days. The rice portion is actually reasonable but what I meant was that Benton's serving size is bigger. Therefore for those ladies watching their carb intake, warning zone here! hehehehe

Menu : Kaya Toast (Medium)
Price : RP 19,130 ++
Score : 6.0 / 10

>> As I had mentioned above, Lau's serves their toast thick and in here they offer a choice of white and brown bread (additional Rp 2,000). I personally like thin crusted bread as I have this delusional mind thinking 'smaller bread, less calorie intake' but bearing in mind that this choice of thick bread will full your stomach better! If you're hungry and doesn't mind which kind of bread, go for Lau's. The only advice is that, go for slightly less salted butter spread on top. The one I had was too salty for my taste. I like their 'Srikaya' jam though, very home made feel and you can actually buy those in jars from the restaurant. Besides kaya flavour, there are a variety such as; chocolate and cheese.

This branch in Jl. Pluit Utara Raya opens till 12 midnight on weekdays and when I arrived there at 10 pm for a supper, there were several tables occupied which means pretty good business bearing in mind the late timing. Nevertheless, a satisfactory visit and since it's super close to my house, I'm definitely having their 'Kwetiau Goreng or Kwetiau Lada Hitam' for my next supper trip there.

Lau's Kopitiam
Jl. Pluit Utara Raya No. 70 (Next to United Oil Car Wash)
Phone : 021 - 666 00 613

No comments:

Post a Comment