Monday 21 February 2011

Tea Garden @ Gading Serpong


David and I drove quite a distance of 32 Kilometers from my house to Gading Serpong. Serpong is a large residential and commercial estate with all the necessities you can find there. Two of us were house hunting and for a late lunch we hit this restaurant called "Tea Garden". Both of us overheard the house brokers saying that the place has good food. The place was very easy to locate because it is situated on the main boulevard road; as long you take notice of your surroundings, you won't missed it.

At a Sunday 2.30 pm, the place was still busy and busy means good business and thus good food I have in mind. But honestly, I was confused when I first enter the eatery. The decoration was very weird, they have Chinese red lanterns all over and also Malay signature green window panes. I'm very sure that the owners didn't hire an interior designer to do the place. When I opened the menu, I was even more confused. The variety of food was abundance! There was way too much choices and it spread from Western, Chinese, Malay, Deserts, etc. I couldn't decide promptly and asked what was the house signature dish; Hainan Chicken Rice.

Last but not least, I have to praise them for the rather cheap price they charge. For two grown up who eats big portion (all the menu below) we spend Rp 160,000 (include tax) that is approximately around USD 17. Good value for money don't you think?

Menu : Hak Kau
Price : Rp 15,000 ++
Score : 6.0 / 10

>> David's favorite and thus we need to order this every time any restaurant has it on their menu. This particular Hak Kau has super fresh shrimp, when I bite into it, I can feel the meat is still firm and springy; not mushy at all.
Menu : Baked BBQ Pork Puff
Price : Rp 12,000++
Score : 7.0 / 10

>> Whenever I give at least a 6.5 / 10, you really need to have a go at it and this you have to try! The sweet pastry was a perfect combination with the savory pork fillings inside. I wanted to have a second plate but ordered too many other dishes and thus, next time I'll have to come back here !!
Menu : Crab Siu May
Price : Rp 14,000++
Score : 6.0 / 10

>> The taste was rather typical but I have to give an extra point for the fresh ingredients. The crab and shrimp fillings inside were so fresh that I can feel it coming back alive, hahaha.
Menu : Fried BBQ Pork Bun
Price : Rp 12,000++
Score : 7.0 / 10

>> This is a cross between fried "Man Tou" and a steamed BBQ Pork Bun. The goodness of each dish were all combine into one! Great crispy skin outside and splendid savory pork inside. Most importantly, NOT too oily at all.
Menu : Hot & Sour Sze Chuan Soup
Price : Rp 10,000++
Score : 3.5 / 10

>> I know the price is cheap (even crab meat is added into) for a bowl of hot and sour soup but the taste is confusing. Meaning, it is neither hot, sour, sweet nor salty. The taste is just weird. I have to point out here that the soup is not bland, seasonings were definitely remembered but it is just the taste that I don't like.
Menu : Chicken Feet with Black Bean Sauce (Tauco)
Price : Rp 11,000++
Score : 5.0 / 10

>> I was surprised at the portion of this menu. But when look closer I realised it was only 3 feet (normal serving) but it was  huge feet and the fact they didn't cut into smaller portions was rather a turn off for presentation. At all level , regardless of taste, portion, presentation Din Tai Fung's is still better.
Menu : Dumpling Soup
Price : Rp 16,000 ++
Score : 6.5 / 10

>> This is a satisfying bowl for my standard. The broth is not only clear but also has a calming taste. The dumplings were plump with shrimp and chicken stuffing. I can really feel that the kitchen were generous with their portions in relative to the price they charge.
Menu : Hainan Chicken Rice
Price : Rp 18,500++
Score : 6.0 / 10

>> I'm not sure why I got served white rice when they stated "Hainan Rice" and the stupid part was that I didn't asked the waiter about that. Nevertheless, the steam chicken with the soy seasoning was delicious and the chicken broth at the side was heavenly good! I might sound exaggerating for just a bowl of soup but I mean it. You have to try it and decide it whether I have good taste buds or not. The chili and ginger condiments were beautiful too. I would have given this a 7.5 / 10 if only they serve me Hainan Rice instead of white rice.

Menu : Egg Tart
Price : Rp 5,000 ++ (per piece)
Score : 8.5 / 10

>> I was head over heels for this tiny thing. I went "WOW" at my first bite and I reckon Tea Garden might serve the best egg tart in Jakarta. The texture was silky smooth, the sweetness was prefect and I can taste the intensity of the curd filling. Heavenly good !!
Menu : Durian Pancake
Price : Rp 26,000++
Score : 5.0 / 10

>> If you notice, this is the most expensive dish on today's lunch table (even more expensive than the Hainan Chicken Rice Set). Thus for that, I have a high expectation. However sadly, it was disappointing. The durian fillings were too little, the egg roll wrapping was slightly too thick and thus I can taste the doughy texture in my mouth. I rather have 5 egg tarts in exchange for this.

4 comments:

  1. Can you please tell me the exact address.
    I would love to try this place, but i don't know the address.
    Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. pelayan nya kurang ajar ga mau gw makan disini lagi --a

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tea Garden = 021-54213332 PIC Mr. Agus, helpfull man. and nice view & Food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is located at Summarecon Gading Serpong, not too far from Summarecon Mall Serpong. This is indeed my favorite place around Serpong because it's inexpensive and the portion was large too. Very-very satisfied each time I ate there. 4 of 5 star if you seek for family restaurant.

    ReplyDelete